Allow judges the ability to deny bail when there is a serious threat to public safety.
Despite recent reforms, dangerous criminals can still be released on bail—even for violent crimes such as murder— because judges are prohibited from denying them bail. Texas must prioritize public safety by passing a constitutional amendment to allow judges the option to deny bail in these serious, high-risk cases.
- The Damon-Allen Act is Law: September 2021
- Texans Deserve a Bail System Based on Risk not Riches: September 2021
- Prescription for Bail Reform Must Include Public Safety and Due Process: June 2020
- The US Needs Bail Reform to Protect Constitutional Safety: January 2019
- Federal Court Rules in Favor of Bail Reform: July 2018
- Open Roads and Overflowing Jails: May 2018
- 4 out of 5 Texans support Bail Reform: February 2021
- Bail Reform: The Balance of Liberty and Public Safety: March 2019
- Procedural Liberty and Asset Forfeiture: September 2020